Join our Urban Places experts as they share knowledge on city building at industry events around the world.
Bringing together global experts in mobility (both smart and urban), resilience, real estate feasibility, planning and urban design, mixed-use architecture, smart cities, and redevelopment, our Urban Places team is uniquely positioned to provide our clients innovative and creative plans and designs from a cohesive, focused team.
Our Urban Places experts regularly share their expertise at conferences around the world. Here is a list of upcoming speaking engagements. Check back regularly for updates!
Jan 29-31: City Engineers Association of Minnesota, CEAM Annual Conference (Brooklyn Center, MN)
- Cynthia Albright will join a panel, moderated by Dave Sonnenberg, on "Mining Cellular Data for Transportation Studies."
- David Dixon will discuss the unprecedented opportunities facing downtowns over the next two decades.
Feb 12-13: Urban Land Institute, ULI Carolinas Meeting (Charlotte, NC)
- On February 13 from 8:00-9:00am, Caroline Cunningham will join a panel "Urban Resilience: More Than You Think" to discuss how cities are responding to challenges in the 21st century.
Feb 19: ASLA CT, Risk and Resiliency: Adapting to Connecticut's Changing Climate Program (Hartford, CT)
- Gary Sorge will join a panel "Modeling Sea Level Rise on Connecticut's Coast: Capitulation, Adaptation, or Restoration?"
Feb 25-29: Congress for the New Urbanism and the City of Buffalo, NY, The Future of Mobility: Remaking Buffalo for the 21st Century (Buffalo, NY)
- Ralph DeNisco, Greg Rodriguez, Tom Yardley, and David Dixon will join the Congress for the New Urbanism and the City of Buffalo for a four-and-a-half day public design workshop and charrette to explore how current and future land uses can accommodate future mobility solutions.
Mar 3: Concordia University's School of Community and Public Affairs, TOD Talk: Is Transit-Oriented Development the Solution to Montreal's Urban Sprawl? (Montreal, QC)
- As a panelist, Steve Potvin will provide insights on TOD in Montreal and its merits as a solution to urban sprawl.
Mar 4: AIA North Alabama, Quarterly Design Lecture (Huntsville, AL)
- As the keynote speaker, Craig Lewis will speak about "It's time for an upgrade: Modernizing the DNA of our cities using form-based codes."
Mar 9-10: IDEA Hackathon, Toward a smart Tampa (Tampa, FL)
- Nancy MacDonald and Jason Schrieber will join speakers from the City of Tampa, the Tampa Bay Lightning, Synapse, and others during the two-day idea hack exploring the question "how do we leverage technology to define a new mobility future that ensures Tampa is a livable, equitable, and resilient city?"
Mar 10: America Walks, National Walking Summit (St. Louis, MO)
- David Dixon will moderate a panel, "The Bottom Line," where the panelists will explore ways that investment into walkable communities is changing the shape and livability of our places.
Mar 11-13: International Downtown Association, 2020 West Coast Urban District Forum (San Jose, CA)
- On March 12 from 2:30-4:30pm, Matt Shawaker will moderate a panel "Transforming Streets to Public Spaces." Panelists will include Stantec colleagues Cynthia Albright and Chris Jennings.
- On March 13 from 8:30-10:30am, David Dixon will join a panel to discuss "Defining Downtown Vitality – The Vitality Index." The IDA Vitality Index, powered by Stantec is a new online tool to benchmark the vitality of downtowns and commercial districts.
Mar 23-25: Ten Across Water Summit (Houston, TX)
- On March 24 from 11:00am-12:00pm, Laura Flannery Sachtleben will participate in the panel "Resilient Houston – Preparing for the 21st Century."
Mar 24: NAIOP, Advantage Series Webinar: Repurposing Retail Centers: Profiles in Adaptation, Repositioning and Redevelopment
- On March 24 from 2:00-2:45pm, Jason Beske will present the recent findings from his research, "Repurposing Retail Centers" commissioned by the NAIOP Research Foundation. Register here.
Mar 31: 4th Annual Sea Level Rise & Climate Change Conference (Miami, FL)
- John Malueg will join a panel to discuss "Real Estate: Challenges and Opportunities Associated with Protecting Infrastructure."
Apr 1-3: International Downtown Association, 2020 University & College Town Summit (Iowa City, IA)
- On April 2 from 10:00-11:15am, Tom Yardley will moderate a breakout session "Getting Creative Around Parking and Congestion." At the same time, David Dixon will join a panel to discuss "Diversity, Inclusivity, Equity – Where Do We Need to Go Next?" Later in the afternoon, David will join another panel focused on "Unlocking Synergies – When Downtown is the Campus."
Apr 3: Tampa Downtown Partnership, 2020 Downtown Development Forum (Tampa, FL)
- David Dixon will speak about "The Emerging Value of Downtowns" during the half-day event focused on the exploration of innovative ideas in urban development.
Apr 16: Greater Wichita Partnership, 2020 Annual Meeting (Wichita, KS)
- David Dixon will join a panel with members of the consultant team that delivered the Wichita Master Plan in 2009, to discuss and celebrate the tenth year of the project's adoption and implementation.
Apr 25-28: American Planning Association, 2020 National Planning Conference (Houston, TX)
- Check back soon for more details!
May 26-28: State of the Coast: Investing in our Future (New Orleans, LA)
- On May 28 at 11:25am, Steve Mathies as moderator and John Malueg as a panelist, the two will join a session to discuss "Community Shift from Disaster Response to Damage Prevention."
Jun 10-13: Congress for the New Urbanism, CNU.28 Annual Congress (Saint Paul and Minneapolis, MN)
- Check back soon for more details!