Join our Urban Places experts as they share knowledge on city building at industry events around the world.
Bringing together global experts in smart mobility, resilience, real estate feasibility, planning and urban design, mixed-use architecture, smart cities, and brownfield redevelopment, our Urban Places team is uniquely positioned to provide our clients innovative and creative plans and designs from a cohesive, focused team.
Our Urban Places experts regularly share their expertise at conferences around the world. Here is a list of upcoming speaking engagements. Check back regularly for updates!
Sept 4-6: Pennsylvania Automated Vehicle Summit (Pocono Manor, PA)
- We'll be participating in three panels on September 5.
- From 9:30-10:30am, Greg Rodriguez will join a panel to discuss the legal implications of AVs. And from 11:00am-12:00pm, he will join a panel about the economic impacts of successful AV pilot projects.
- Also from 9:30-1030am, Kelley Coyner will speak about AV deployments across the US, current trends, public/private partnerships, and the importance of community engagement.
Sept 8-11: Rail~Volution, 2019 Conference (Vancouver, BC)
- September 9 at 2:00pm, Ralph DeNisco will present at the panel sessions "Reimagining Curb Spaces."
- Meet some of our team at the Rail~Volutionary Young Leader Event and participate in the Mentorship Speed Networking at 5:30pm.
- September 10 at 2:00pm, Craig Sklenar will join a panel to discuss "TOD Financing: Value Capture and P3."
- Also on the 10th, James Purkis will say a few opening remarks at the PK Slam, powered by PechaKucha, at 8:00pm.
Sept 9-10: United Global Impact, Making Global Goals Local Business - Canada (Toronto, ON)
- Nancy MacDonald will join a panel, "Smart Cities - What Can They Offer to the 2030 Agenda?" to discuss how innovative use of data, technology, and policies can help achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Sept 11: ULI Colorado, From Parking to Placemaking! Creating Mixed-use Neighborhoods Around Transit and Venues (Denver, CO)
- Daniel Aizenman will join an expert panel, "Introduction to Entertainment Districts: Best Practices and National and Local Case Studies."
Sept 15-18: APA California, Annual Conference, A Resilient Future 2019 (Santa Barbara, CA)
- John Malueg and Cyrena Eitler will be part of a panel "Opportunities for Community/Military Partnerships to Enhance Resiliency."
Sept 18-21: ULI, 2019 Fall Meeting (Washington DC)
- Many of our team members will be at this Fall's meeting, participating in sessions, product council meetings, and networking events. We hope to connect with you while we're there!
- On September 20, Kelley Coyner will moderate the panel "Designing for Micro-mobility: Beyond Bike Lanes."
Sept 22-25: TAC-ITS, 2019 Joint Conference & Exhibition (Halifax, NS)
Monday, September 23
- Martin Thibault will be presenting “PIARC Tasks Force work – Automated and Connected Vehicles: challenges and opportunities for road operators and road authorities” at 1:45pm in Argyle A3.
- Kelley Coyner and Yeatland Wong will be presenting “A Global Laboratory to Experiment with Emerging Transportation Technologies” at 1:45pm in Room 612-613.
Tuesday, September 24
- Martin Chevrier will be presenting “Three Key Real-Time Technologies for Managing Traffic and Congestion in a Smart City” at 2:15pm in Room 202.
- Rod Schebesch will moderate and Kelley Coyner will participate as a panelist in the "Next-Gen Integrated Corridor Management (ICM)" workshop at 1:45pm.
Wednesday, September 25
- Ashley Thompson, Yeatland Wong, and Michelle Orfield will join a panel, "Preparing for Connected and Automated Vehicles (CAV), Part 2: Readiness Planning and Pilot Projects" at 8:30am in Argyle A2.
Sept 24: America Walks, National Walking Summit (Columbus, OH)
Sept 25: APA Minnesota, 2019 Planning Conference (Breezy Point, MN)
- Beth Elliott will join a panel "What Minnesota Planners Can Learn from the Rest of the Country (And They Can Learn from Us)."
Oct 1-4: Project for Public Spaces, 3rd International Placemaking Week (Chattanooga, TN)
- Jason Beske and David Dixon will discuss, "From Pavement to Placemaking: the Rebirth of America's Suburbs."
Oct 7-10: Walk21, 20th International Walk21 Conference (Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
- Nels Nelson will join a break out session, "Ways to have a positive impact on walking", where he will discuss third-party rating systems (such as LEED and WELL).
Oct 8-11: APA North Carolina, 2019 North Carolina Planning Conference (Wilmington, NC)
- Jonathan Garrett and Ashley Thompson are part of a panel on, "Lessons Learned from Five Self-Driving Shuttle Feasibility Studies Across North America."
Oct 10: ICA Miami, Panel Discussion: Art, Architecture, and Climate Change (Miami, FL)
- John Malueg will join a panel to discuss the concept of resiliency as it relates to architecture and its role in mitigating climate change.
Oct 10: Design Philadelphia, How can Cities Adapt for Tomorrow (Philadelphia, PA)
- Join Adam Ferrari, Jason Schrieber, and other industry professionals to discuss in detail how we can use design to fundamentally make Philadelphia—and many other cities—better.
Oct 14-15: Salus Global, 3rd Healthy City Design 2019 International Congress (London, UK)
- As part of the Place-based Health Stream, Andrew Irvine will join the session on Community-based Healthcare to discuss "Healthcare in the urban habitat: challenging healthcare providers, designers, and urban leaders to collaborate for the improvement of community health."
Oct 18: Downtown New Jersey, 2019 Conference (Bloomfield, NJ)
- David Dixon will be the keynote speaker highlighting his report The Value of U.S. Downtowns and Center Cities: Second Edition and will also moderate the panel "The Value of Downtown."
Oct 28-30: The Society for College and University Planning, 2019 North Central Regional Conference (Omaha, NE)
- Tom Yardley will join a panel to discuss "Like Them or Not–Plan to Integrate E-Scooters/Micro-mobility Options Now!"
- On the 29th from 1:30-3:00pm, David Dixon will be speaking as part of a panel on "Urban Design Matters". Also on the 29th, from 3:30-5:00pm, Matt Shawaker will moderate a panel "Transforming Downtown Transit Streets."
- On the 30th from 10:30am-12:00pm, Craig Lewis will moderate a talk on "Flipping the Script: Using Housing as Economic Development Tool" and from 1:30-3:00pm David Dixon will discuss "Vitality Defined: IDA's Vitality Index."
- Andrew Irvine and Douglas King will discuss "The Hospital in the Urban Habitat: Achieving Livable Cities" which will explore how healthcare providers, civic leadership, and non-traditional providers can work together to coordinate community health goals.
Oct 28-Nov 2: AIA Colorado, 2019 Practice and Design Conference (Breckenridge, CO)
- David Dixon talks about the "Suburban Remix: the future of suburbia."
Nov 2-5: Healthcare Design Expo + Conference (New Orleans, LA)
- On November 2, Andrew Irvine and Douglas King will lead a workshop "Healthcare in the Urban Environment: An Interactive Workshop".
Nov 15-18: American Society of Landscape Architects, ASLA SAN2019 Conference on Landscape Architecture (San Diego, CA)
- On November 16, from 11:00am-12:15pm, Gary Sorge will lead a panel "Climate, Mobility, and Community: Systems Thinking and the Future of Food" .