Join our Urban Places experts as they share knowledge on city building at industry events around the world
Bringing together global experts in smart mobility, resilience, real estate feasibility, planning and urban design, mixed-use architecture, smart cities, and brownfield redevelopment, our Urban Places team is uniquely positioned to provide our clients innovative and creative plans and designs from a cohesive, focused team.
Our Urban Places experts regularly share their expertise at conferences around the world. Here is a list of upcoming speaking engagements. Check back regularly for updates!
May 1-2: International Downtown Association, Economic Development Summit (Oklahoma City, OK)
- Craig Sklenar and David Dixon will lead a panel, "Inclusive Urban Design as an Economic Development Tool." They will focus on how using urban design can make downtowns places that celebrate diversity and promote economic development.
May 14: Enlightened Economy Summit 2019 (Edmonton, AB)
- Nancy MacDonald will join the panel, "A Smart and Healthy City" to discuss how we can make cities sustainable, safe, open, and healthy.
May 18-22: American Public Transportation Association, 2019 Mobility Conference (Louisville, KY)
- On May 21, David Dixon will moderate a panel, "How Public Transit Agencies and Other Providers Are Managing the Crowded Corridor".
May 22: Boston Society of Landscape Architects, 2019 BSLA Conference (Boston, MA)
- David Dixon will join a panel, "New Directions in Landscape" to discuss how cities can focus their plans and designs to address the challenge of climate change.
May 22-26: The Environmental Design Research Association, EDRA50Brooklyn Conference: Sustainable Urban Environments (Brooklyn, NY)
Jun 10: Urban Development Institute of Quebec, IntenCité QC (Québec, QC)
- As the keynote speaker during the lunch period, David Dixon will discuss trends related to suburban remix and transit-oriented development.
Jun 12-15: Congress for New Urbanism, 27th Annual Congress (Louisville, KY)
- June 12, from 1:00-4:00pm: Craig Lewis, David Dixon, Ralph DeNisco, and Craig Sklenar will lead the 202 Workshop: Autonomous Vehicles: Their effect on personal mobility, street design, and curbside management.
- June 13, from 9:00-10:15am: Jason Beske and David Dixon will lead the session, "Suburban Remix: Creating the Next Generation of Urban Places" where they will explore the transformation of the suburbs through the integration of walkable urban places.
- June 13, from 9:00-10:15am: Craig Lewis will join an open innovation session to discuss "How Smart Do Cities Really Need To Be, and Does Being Smart Really Make Cents?"
- June 13, from 10:40am-12:00pm: Jason Beske will join a panel, "Pavement to Placemaking: The Rebirth of Washington, D.C Suburbs" where he will discuss how suburban communities are redeveloping to create vital new neighborhood centers.
Jul 3-6: Canadian Institute of Planners, CIP GENERATION 2019 Conferences (Ottawa, ON)
- Brenda Webster Tweel, Craig Sklenar, and Molly Smith will join a panel to discuss "Booth District: How Canada's federal heritage evolution will impact today's urban environments". The discussion will focus on the development of the Booth District and how heritage sites can be developed to have a second life.
Jul 11: MPLS Downtown Council, Coffee and Conversation (Minneapolis, MN)
- Beth Elliott will discuss the recently released 2018 IDA report: The Value of U.S. Downtowns and Center Cities and the five interrelated principles—economy, inclusion, vibrancy, identity, and resilience used to evaluate the downtowns.
Jul 28-31: American Public Transportation Association, Sustainability & Multimodal Planning Workshop (Boston, MA)
- Check back soon for details!
Oct 28-Nov 2: Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, 10th World Congress (Chicago, IL)
- Andrew Irvine and Douglas King will discuss "The Hospital in the Urban Habitat: Achieving Livable Cities" which will explore how healthcare providers, civic leadership, and non-traditional providers can work together to coordinate community health goals.
Nov 15-18: American Society of Landscape Architects, ASLA SAN2019 Conference on Landscape Architecture (San Diego, CA)
- On November 16, from 11:00am-12:15pm, Gary Sorge will lead a panel "Climate, Mobility, and Community: Systems Thinking and the Future of Food" .